Wednesday, May 16, 2007

a job

20th April 2007

I just got my first job today. After a series of rejection at the oh-so-‘cool’ Alamanda shopping mall, an unexpected turn to the bulatan perdana landed me on my first job, a part – time crew at the Dairy King ice cream parlor. Yah yah yah yah!!! Take that alamanda!!

Berikut merupakan deskripsi pekerjaan baru saya:
I’ll be working from 8.30 a.m until 3 p.m., so to all of you who wish to contact me, please do so after 3.
I’ll be working for 6.5 hours.
The wage is not much, though it is kept as a secret for fear of possible extortion by any anonymous blog reader (not that anyone reads my bog..haha)
My first pay will be spent on getting my fixed mp4 yang dah berbulan terceruk at the kedai.

I couldn’t help but grin throughout the entire journey back home. After a week of job hunting, finally someone wants me! Aww….at first I thought that i don’t think I can ever show my face at alamanda again. Ill bet the whole community of alamanda can recognize my face as the girl who couldn’t get a job. But now, who gives a shit coz I got a FRIGGIN’ JOB!!!

21st April

First day at work

Arrived at 8.10 a.m. and realized the front door is not open yet. Wandered around aimlessly at the playground in the front and wondered how the pak guards and makcik cleaners managed to get themselves in. then saw two kids who I think are also part – timers and they were snickering when they saw me with my futile efforts to get in, when the glass door won’t open, not because the sensor was rosak, but the damn sensor wasn’t switched on yet. 15 minutes later asked a pakcik how to get in, and followed him to the back door. Realized that now I can’t use the front door if I want to get my butt on time, but have to settle for the back door, where the others used.

Kak fauziah arrived 15 minutes late. But she taught me almost everything I need to know to handle the whole booth. She’s a good teacher, a patient and very soft – spoken person, and lets just say I am a fast learner..hahaha. and by 10, ive got the gist on how to manage the booth.

At 11, another girl, Siti, came, who was a year younger and a part timer also. She’s been working there for 4 months now, just finished her STPM. A soft – spoken kelantanese and a very nice person. And I noticed that she is very cekap with scooping ice cream, even with two scoops at a time. Scooping ice cream is one of my major kelemahan, kak fauziah told me to practice scooping ice cream at home.

Ive managed to learn how to operate the cash register, whip up a milkshake, make almost all the different toppings they have, and how to fold a packet of napkins in a short time. Hordes of Chinese tourists who didn’t understand a single word of English is a pain in the ass and it adds salt to the wound when they kept on asking if they can use their currency. What are we, an ice cream booth cum money changer?

The staffs could stop complaining about how hot it is, because the air cond is not really working, on us, but the area okay je. It made matters worse when the food court management took away our fan with a promise of a cooler temperature in a while, but takde rase ape2 pun.

By the end of my shift, I realized my legs have nearly come off and my body has never felt so much pain before. I thought my whole body would patah2 and id just die. The fact that I was crammed in the car due to the stupid congestion in damansara on the way to send wanie off is not helping me ease my agonies.

2nd day
22nd April

Arrived early, took the back door and realized Kak Zarina, the other kakak, is not there yet. Kak zarina, or what the others called mukna, is not the warmest person on earth. Don’t know why, and don’t want to know. I’ve decided to just stick doing my job when I realized she hasn’t spoken a word to me, aside from telling me what I should do. And realized she might not like me that much when I asked if I should change the banana strawberry tub because it was too soft and it was difficult to scoop it, and she said nonchalantly, “saya buat boleh”, and I just nodded red – faced.

An hour later, realized that maybe she is not too bad, she taught me a lot of things, including how to scoop a soft ice cream, and maybe she is just slow in the warming up process. When siti came, kak zarina instantly lights up and suddenly she was very talkative, to siti lah. Aiya, nevermind lah, malas mau amik peduli, I just do my work and get my pay, ok dah.

By the end of the day, managed to scoop two ice creams at a time, and learned how to do the slushee mix. And my hands hurt like hell due to ice berg – like ice creams.

And they were still complaining about the panas temperature.

23rd April
3rd day of work

Arrived on time and get on with my job, kak zarina arrived about 15 minutes later. She took no time in putting me to labour with waffle – mixing!! The agony of yesterday wasn’t really healed and now I had to whip up the stupid waffle mix.

And when it was over, she taught me how to make the waffle cones, shich I have to say, something I really hate now. a number of failed attempts to roll the damn waffle into a cone, and finally I got the rhythm. But I am still weak in putting the lump of the waffle mix on the taster because mine kept getting puffy when it was masak, instead of flat and crunchy.

By the end of the day, I realized that I can’t really hate the Chinese tourists because they are our biggest customers, even if they are rude, impatient and yells at you. They are sometimes nice, and I realized that I don’t want to work in this type of job for the rest of my life. I am very much grateful to be in university. And I hate it when ayam said “ now you know how hard it is to earn money”, because its true.

No comments: